Syracuse Trusts SERVPRO for Fire Damage Restoration
How SERVPRO Deodorizes Syracuse Properties After Fire Damage?
Restoration of fire damage to Syracuse properties involves removing the smoke and soot residue and deodorizing the odors. SERVPRO technicians use several deodorizing techniques depending on the type, intensity, and nature of the odor-causing particles present in the fire-damaged property.
SERVPRO technicians deal with two types of odors after fire damage to your Syracuse home-
- Real odors, and
- Imaginary or psychological odors–Phantosmia
Real odors result from burnt substances that release odor molecules producing a sensation of smell by interacting with our Olfactory receptors. On the other hand, imagery or psychological odors are odors that people think they smell. Under some circumstances, a fire-damaged building can stimulate imaginary odors. Imaginary odors are also called heightened awareness odors, as certain circumstances make an individual more aware of odors. Residents expect smoky odors after a house fire.
SERVPRO technicians not only treat and neutralize real odors, but we also address imaginary odors to leave your home smelling “Like it never even happened.”
Deodorization Steps During House Fire Cleanup
Not all odors in your fire-damaged Syracuse home come from a single source. Consequently, SERVPRO technicians. The four basic steps that technicians use during the deodorization of fire damage to residential buildings include:
- Removal of the odor source and the debris: Rather than attempting to deodorize the source, SERVPRO technicians prioritize removing it entirely. Technicians remove charred structures and other debris before implementing any deodorizing process.
- Cleaning to remove odor-causing residues: Small particles of odor-causing substances keep releasing odor molecules if technicians don’t remove them properly. Hence, cleaning the residues is crucial in combating odors after a fire incident.
- Recreating conditions that caused odor penetration: As odor-causing particles formed during a fire are hot, they can penetrate porous surfaces. SERVPRO technicians must recreate the conditions that made the particles travel and penetrate the surface to neutralize these particles. Creating a fog or mist of the deodorizer can allow the deodorizer molecules to penetrate surfaces and neutralize foul-smelling particles.
- Seal the surfaces: Although sealing is not required in all situations, it can be especially effective in extreme odor situations. If removing the odor is too expensive or impractical, SERVPRO technicians use alcohol-based shellac or acrylic sealers to contain the odor-causing particles.
Deodorizing Agents SERVPRO Technicians use in Fire Damaged Syracuse Homes
Neutralizing the many types of odors after fire damage requires more than one type of deodorizing action. The most common type of deodorizers that SERVPRO technicians use to combat fire and smoke odors include:
- Masking agents: Masking agents cover malodors with a more pleasant smell. They are of little use to combat real odors as they won’t eliminate them. However, these are great for combating imaginary or psychological odors.
- Pairing agents: Combine chemically with an odor-causing molecule to alter its chemical nature. SERVPRO technicians use deodorizing agents with both paring and masking agents. The two ways paring agents work include absorbing airborne odor particles and causing them to precipitate so that they can be cleaned up and neutralizing the odor molecule by combining with it chemically and rendering it odorless.
- Adsorption filter agents: These agents work by capturing odor-causing molecules from the air and holding them onto the surface. Activated charcoal used in the air filtration systems eliminates the odor by this mechanism.
SERVPRO is here to help you in the time of your need; We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster. Call SERVPRO of East Onondaga County at (315) 446-8776.